Huangshan Mountain in winter is as beautiful as a snow-covered fairyland. Though the mountain is breathtakingly beautiful all year round, the magnificent mountains blanketed with snow in winter will enable tourists the unique experience of visiting a different Huangshan Mountain.
In December 1993, at seeing the snow-covered mountain, Zhu Rongji, the then-vice premier of the State Council said: "Huangshan Mountain is beautiful enough, and the snow in winter even adds more attractiveness to it."
Huangshan Mountain is an ideal destination for your winter tour. The snow-covered mountains and trees, seas of clouds, amazing sunrises, full-circle rainbows and thermal springs combine for a memorable winter tour of Huangshan Mountain.
Huangshan Mountain is famous for its Four Wonders: oddly-shaped pines, bizarre rocks, seas of clouds and the thermal springs. As the beauty of the mountain in winter becomes increasingly popular among tourists, the winter snow is becoming renowned as the Fifth Wonder of Huangshan Mountain.
In winter, the snow god casts a quilt of white over peaks and valleys, dressing the mountain as a silver wonderland. Here is how an ancient Chinese poem describes it: "With ice columns skyrocketing into the sky, and pure snowflakes blooming on the pine, Huangshan Mountain in winter is the snowy heaven on earth." According to regional climate data, Huangshan Mountain's winter lasts longer than any other season. Beginning at the end of October, winter in the mountain areas will not end until March the following year. December, January and February are the best traveling periods, when Huangshan Mountain records maximum snowfall.
In winter, tourists find that overnight winds can bring thousands of snowflakes to the mountains, transforming the mountain into a pure fairyland-- pines are decorated with hard, white ice, and clusters of pine needles in the snow look like blooming chrysanthemums. Icicles hanging from trees are like long, transparent bead curtains. When the wind blows the curtains clang as if nature as the conductor is leading a concerto. The music resonates in the mountains, composing another gift of nature for the people who come from afar to appreciate its beauty.
A sea of clouds is another wonder in winter on Huangshan Mountain. The clouds in winter surround the snow-covered mountains so that you can hardly distinguish the clouds and snows. This combines for another magnificent view.
The sea of clouds is divided geographically into five regions, which are the south sea in front of the Yuping Hotel, the north sea on Qingliang Peak, the west sea near Paiyun Tower, the east sea on the Goose Range, and the "heaven sea" on Guangmingding summit.
The best months for appreciating the cloud sea on Huangshan Mountain is from November to April. The sea of clouds can stay as long as three days with an ideal weather condition of sunshine and little wind.
In the early mornings in winter, the newborn sun spreads its rosy lights onto the surface of the cloud sea. Early sunlight rests gently on the shoulders of Huangshan Mountain, casting a golden hue over the snow-covered valley. With sunlight dancing cheerfully in the mountains, Huangshan Mountain presents a splendid picture. This winter, come to Huangshan Mountain to witness a masterpiece of nature!
A full-circle rainbow, the so-called "Buddhist light" in Chinese, is a sign of auspiciousness and good luck in China, and is rarely seen in nature. However, this optical phenomenon can frequently be seen on Huangshan Mountain after a snowfall. Among the pure clouds, the colorful rainbow creates a distinct contrast to the sea of clouds, showing the tourist nature's beauty.
After climbing all the way up and standing on top of Huangshan Mountain, it¡¯s time to experience a hot spring spa. You will relax physically and mentally.
The temperature of the hot spring in Huangshan Mountain is a constant 42 degree. Abundant with bicarbonates, the spring can be directly applied for making tea or even wine. The spring water also has high medical value in the treatment of the skin, joint, and nerve troubles. A spring spa experience in Huangshan Mountain will be your lifetime memory.
Information for visiting Huangshan Mountain in winter
Off-season: Dec 1, 2010 to Feb 28, 2011
Ticket price: 150 RMB/person (230 RMB/person in high season)
Cable car price: 65 RMB/person (80 RMB/person in high season)
1) 115 RMB/person for: students (full-time undergraduates and younger students), in-service soldiers, retired military cadres, minors, moral models at the state level, model heroes, model workers at provincial and ministerial levels or at a higher level. (with related documents or certificates)
2) 115 RMB/person for: senior citizens older than 60 years. (with valid resident ID card)
3) 115 RMB/person for: people with a disabilities card.
Free for: people with a disabilities card of level 1 to level 4 initiated by the China Disabled Persons' Federation.
4) 120 RMB/person for: tourist with a valid resident ID card (temporary residence permit or residence permit) AND a boarding pass at Huangshan airport (The tourist's name on the ID card and the one on the boarding pass must be consistent.)
5) 120 RMB/person for: large-scale tourist team of more than 300 or more people organized by a travel agency.
Mountain Travel Tips:
1) Wear a down jacket and a snow cap to protect you from chilling winds and low temperatures in the mountains.
2) Wear travel shoes because the mountain path can become very slippery after snow or rain. Bring a walking stick and a pair of gloves with you.
3) A Cable car is a comfortable and safe choice for those who are tired or tire easily.
4) Drink only moderate amounts of alcohol, especially those who stay at hotels at higher altitudes such the North Sea Hotel, Tianhai Hotel and Yuping Hotel.